Re: Re: [NEWBIE GUIDE] For the benefit of new members

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:36:17 -0600, Greg Donald <destiney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:15:37 +0000, Rory Browne <rory.browne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think sending it to the list every so often, via cron isn't the best
> > way to handle it. I've read it once, I don't see the point in getting
> > it again. Perhaps, is the list admins were willing, it could be set up
> > to be sent to all newbies, as part of the subscription process. To
> > ensure that it is read by all newbies, they'd have to answer certain
> > questions in the body of the confirmation email? The problem of
> > newbies not knowing they are newbies, isn't overcome by cron.
>
> That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  I wouldn't want to take a
> test just because I need to resubscribe after vacation, or a change of
> email address.  Besides that, if the test is unmonitored, well..
> anyway.

Fair enough. Maybe it isn't such a good idea in this instance, but for
the test, I meant something simple, like a what is the missing word
type thing. For example I could ask you what word was missing from the
following sentence You can download a copy and use it ___ also. As you
read through the guide, you'll see that the answer is 'offline'.

I'm not trying to push this through. I just wanted to explain what I
meant by the test and its being unmonitored, and lets face it, its
handier to read the thing, and find out the answers, than it is to
look up some passwordz/crakz/insert_other_l337sp33k_term_here site,
just to subscribe to the PHP mailing list.

Having that said, it was all just a thought.