Lost connection to mysql db. Plus I could use some help

Good morning. In Windows XP, MYSQL, PHP and using the following code
snippet:

<?
$conn = mysql_connect('localhost', 'odbc', '') or die ("Can't Connect To
Database");
$db = mysql_select_db("wwpbt", "$conn") or die ("Can't Select Database");
$echo ("Congratulations - you connected to MySQL");
?>

I initially was successful. However, about 5 hours later, as I was exploring
how to SELECT and UPDATE to my db in PHP, I was not able to see any values
returned. I ran the snippet above and the only msg I can get is 'Can't
Select Database'. However when I drop the $db line, I get no msg at all. Any
Ideas would be appreciated with a caveat.............

I am building a commercial site for myself. The concept documents can be
found at POTBOWLING.COM. I cannot pay anyone for assisting me unless we have
a prior arrangement and until this thing gets off the ground bringing in
real income. Please do not send any response with the intent of making
claims against the project later unless we have an understanding.

I have already run this thing back in the '80's on a DOS based BATCH process
system, and after three failed attempts and all my money to get others to
write the code in the Web World, I am going to do it my self. At least the
proof of concept which will prove the functionality, without the bells and
whistles, that this can work, at which point I hope to acquire funding to
build the security and beef up the code, look and feel of the website. I do
have interested parties waiting to see what I can develop who are willing to
move this along.

So, with that in mind and an understanding that if you can help now, and
this thing goes, I will need a solid staff to help develop and then maintain
this project. Once this one is up and running I have also done another DOS
based project in the Golfing world.  I welcome your assistance. Please reply
directly to
jyeatraji@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim Yeatrakas
Charleston SC.