Storing a reference to an object in another object

Hi All

This is probably just a case of me being Mr Thicky, but maybe someone can point out the error mf my ways:

I have two classes, call them admin and module. Admin stores login details as well as a pointer to the DB connection. Module will run various queries. To do that it needs access to the DB connection maintained by Admin. Because I don't want to have to keep on passing the reference to the admin instance, I thought I would store the reference to the admin instance within the module instance when the object is created:

class Module
{
	private $admin_instance;

	function __construct($admin_instance)
	{
		$this->admin_instance = $admin_instance;
	}

	public function checkConnection()
	{
		return $this->admin_instance->checkConnection()
	}
}

I am using PHP 5 so the reference should be passed and stored in the relevant object attribute, not so?

Yet, if i call checkConnection it tells me that I am calling a method on a non-object.print_r() of the module instance makes things even more confusing: print_r returns:

[admin_instance:private] => [class_name] => blah [admin_instance] => Admin Object

which is followed by the various attributes of the admin object suggesting that the reference to the admin object is indeed within the module instance.

I hope someone can help with this..

Oh, and before anybody asks I am still busy RTFM, STFW, STFA but with no joy so far.

--
Rory McKinley
Nebula Solutions