RE: searching and sorting

Richard Lynch wrote:
> Brian A. Anderson wrote:
[...]
>> I am thinking of incrementally adding the resultant hits into two
>> associative arrays with the link to the data and a calculated
>> relevance value, and sorting this array by these relevences.
[...]
> One Axiom: Keep as much of the scoring/sorting in your SQL as
> possible -- That's what SQL engines are best at.

I suggest the original poster look into some of the full text indexing
capabilities of his SQL server.  A lot of these (for PostgreSQL and MySQL
anyway) will automatically return a relevance value and handle sorting based
on that.  As you said, that'll be a heck of a lot more efficient and easier
to implement that doing it in PHP.