Re: Need help with array/foreach

Collin Davis wrote:
Hi,
Long time reader, first time poster.  I've been using Dreamweaver to
generate my PHP (I know - but I'm a designer... most of this makes
absolutely zero sense to me), but I've run into something that I know could
be done better.  If you look here: http://pastebin.com/228804  you can see
that I have several MySQL queries.  Now I know that surely these can be
concatenated into an array or something, but I have no idea how to do that -

concatenation means sticking strings together, which is kind of what you would do to an array if you used the join() function on it. but anyway I grabbed this bit of code from you source file:

            $db2->query("select pid,poster, ".
                "date_format(posted, '%a %D %b %H:%i') as posted ".
                "from pastebin where pid=".$db->f("parent_pid"));

you could do this with the sql:

$queries = array();

$queries['get_poster'] = '
select pid,poster,
date_format(posted, '%%a %%D %%b %%H:%%i') as posted
from pastebin where pid=%s';
$queries['get_poster_parents'] = '
select pid,poster,
date_format(posted, '%%a %%D %%b %%H:%%i') as posted

           from pastebin where parent_pid=%s order by posted desc;"

(the double percentage signs are there for the benefit of sprintf())
the later on in the script:

$db2->query(sprintf( $queries['get_poster'],$db->f("parent_pid") ));

and

$db2->query(
	sprintf( $queries['get_poster_parents'],$db->f("parent_pid")));

(sorry about the odd line wrapping)

to be honest it wasn't totally clear what you wanted to achieve (or why - the why is often telling and will others to help with possibly different solutions), but I hope this gives you something to go on.

I've googled until I'm blue in the face, read tutorials about arrays and
foreach loops but I just can't make sense of it.  Any help anybody could

I feel like that everytime I try reading up on character encoding/transcoding - my brain hurts and I feel the need to scream!

give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Collin Davis