Offline working

Because of the problems working with the email version of the php lists, I'm forced to use the newgroup interface.
Up until recently I could happily get up in the morning and 'Download Now' in Mozilla so I can scan messages quickly locally.
Since xmas the 'Download Now' simply gets the first message and then times out. It's working fine on Eclipse and Borland so it's not my end, but now the only way to get the messages is one at a time.

Is this something that has been changed at www.php.net? Can anything be done about it? Why should offline working be such a problem?

--
Lester Caine