Re: [PHP-DB] Complicated Question (maybe)?

On Jan 10, 2005, at 11:16 PM, JeRRy wrote:

Hi,

I have my reasons in asking this.  But instead of
going on about it I'll make it quick.

Is there a way to BLOCK an update to a column in a
databasefrom a webform or php page?

What I mean is this.

A user registers for a site.  They enter details like
their address, username and etc.

I want to BLOCK any possible updates from a webform or
php page to the address field.  Or even halt any sort
of update/modification from mysql to that column but
have it possible to unblock by admin.

Is this possible?  Sure I could refuse an mysql update
to do this but I want to lock out everyone to ensure
no sneaky activity or changes are made.

Is it possible or am I talking too much?

Maybe I'm over-simplifying this. But if you do not want them to update this field via the web, then don't let them have that ability.

So, is this what you're doing?:

<form action="thispage.php" method="post">
Username: <input type="text" value="<? echo $username; ?>" name="username" size="30" />
...etc...
Address: <? echo $fieldYouDoNotWantToUpdate; ?>
</form>

Do you see what I'm saying? If you're pulling information from a database, then just display it on screen as text, then they will for sure not be able to update it. Otherwise, put it in a modifiable <input/> or <select> field.

Hope that helps.
~Philip