Re: Re: Persistent PHP web application?

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
>> FWIW, I can't see how a WYW server is going to make his application run
>> faster. The transfer of the data he wants will still have to be
>> serialized and unserialized (in an optimal WYW server only unserialized)
>> and this is is exactly his bottleneck using an include. Actually I'd
>> imagine because he's using an accelerator it's fast as it can get
>> without using some kind of shared memory system. Correct me if I'm
>> confused and you know how to transfer raw zend vars over a socket
>> without the need to unserialize on the receiver end.
>
> You are correct, serialization tends to be the bottleneck when it comes
> to restoring large data structs.  So you either avoid recreating the
> data structure and just use the data directly, or use an in-process
> mechanism like apc_store/apc_fetch which does a straight memcpy and
> doesn't need top serialize.  Of course, this still doesn't match writing
> your own extension to manage your persistent data directly without
> needing to shuffle it around back and forth between process and shared
> memory.

Perhaps I'm just being naive and/or stupid, but I was imagining his array
elements going in separate apc_store()s...

And he'd not serialize them, cuz they're just INT or CHAR...

So he'd only retrieve what he needed on a one-by-one basis, very quickly...

But maybe that can't be done.

Or maybe it would be incredibly inefficient.

Or both. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm