Re[2]: Saving Files

Hello Philip (please email the PHP list directly, not me personally),

PT> Ok, I have another question. Would I be able to execute a batch file
PT> (or something) upon the user hitting a button, which would then save
PT> the file to the specified location?

You could have a button on your web page that when clicked would start
to download a file. However the second your PHP script sends the file
to the browser you are handing over all control regarding how the file
is saved (and where) to the browser. You cannot influence or modify
this behaviour - you send the file to the browser, the browser
takes over from there.

PT> It seems as though this can be done because viruses tend to do it all
PT> the time - you click on a link or open an email attachment which causes
PT> a .exe or .bat file to run. Now I hate relating what I want to do with
PT> a virus, but that's how I can most closely relate it.

Sure.. but that is totally outside the confines of a web browser. Even
if you did click a link on a web page (that linked to a virus EXE) all
you are really doing is sending that exe to the browser. What then
happens with it is us to the user/browser configuration and is out of
your control.

If the user is dumb enough to have their browser automatically run any
EXE file they download without prompting - well, that is another
problem altogether and one PHP could never hope to fix
(mod_brain_replacement perhaps?)

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde