Re: Using SSL

Daniel Lahey wrote:
> I need to implement secure transactions for a client, but I just can't
> figure out how to open a page with an https prefix.  The server has
> mod-ssl and OpenSSL compiled into it:

Ah, but did you muck around with the settings in your httpd.conf to turn
it *ON* and set up port 443 (the default) as the SSL port and...

If you've never ever edited your httpd.conf by hand, then maybe just
installing those packages will alter the file, but most likely you changed
it, and most likely the SSL software then assumed you'd rather change it
by hand rather than over-write your previous changes with the default
httpd.conf+SSL turned on. [*]

* I think the installers are more smart/complicated than this, but that's
what it boils down to in the end, even if they can sorta sometimes figure
out your httpd.conf and fix it to make SSL work.

PS Since you don't have plain old SSL working without .php, it really
*DID* belong on an Apache mailing list.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm