Hosting woes and PHP 4.3.8 install (Interland)

My hosting company is very stubborn when it comes to functionality.  They do
not compile their version of PHP 4.3.8 with DOM so now none of my XML
generating code works.

The environment is a virtual host meaning that I share space on a server
with other users but only I have access to my stuff.  The software packages
including Apache and PHP are installed with scripts that create links from
where the files should be to where the files actually are (their home in
virtual package land).  For example the httpd.conf file is not in the
/etc/httpd directory, a link is there to point Apache to the actual file.

I have access to make changes to these files, that is not my problem.  My
problem is breaking the other PHP dependent applications such as Squirrel
Mail.

So my question is, where is php actually installed on a normal machine?  I
would like to compile 4.3.8 with DOM support, and point Apache to the new
.so file, in a location of my choice.  Does this sound possible if so would
it be this simple?

Thanks for the insight!
Tim