[no subject]

I am relatively new to web development, but I have been a C/C++
programmer now for about 9 years...

So far, I really love PHP... It just makes web development so much
more convenient... But I sometimes wonder why so much server side work
is done with intrpreted scripting languages... Why haven't languages
been created that when "compiled" result in C code, which could then
itself be compiled and run natively?

It should be possible to create a "reintrepreter" capable of
translating code written in a language like PHP into C code, which
could then be compiled and executed natively... (IE, Faster)... If it
was desired, it could even copy the syntax of the PHP language
exactly... You would get the rapid development of PHP combined with
the execution speed of C...

Their must be a good reason this has never been done (or has it?).

--

    td