Re: How do I underline a string using php and fonts?

Brent Clements wrote:
> I have always wondered this and maybe you guys can help.
>
> How do I underline a bit of text using True Type Fonts?
>
> Right now, I am creating imagelines but I don't think that's the most
> efficient way of doing it.
>
> Anybody know how to do "underlines" but using the font itself?

I believe the User Contributed Notes in the on-line manual include some
references to additional arguments in the various font/text drawing
functions that will do things of this nature.

I don't promise that underlining is there, or that it will work.

You're going to have to end up reading the documentation not only of PHP,
but also of the underlying TrueType library.

NOTE:  It may be that TrueType won't do it, but FreeType or PostScript
will, and that switching is an option for you. Or not.

NOTE:  If you are happy with the "look" and code readability you have, I
seriously doubt that imageline is that much slower than some 'underline'
feature of the TrueType library, unless you are calling imageline a *LOT*
of times...  So you may want to focus your efforts elsewhere unless you're
just bored or the code is unreadable.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm