Re: GD library with tiff images

coding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am trying to write an image upload facility, which resizes the images,
> which I am obviously using the GD library for. Does anyone know if there
> are any functions I can use to read in images encoded in tiff image
> format?

As far as I know, the GD image functions of PHP do not support TIFF.

A very very very brief search on Boutell's site didn't turn up TIFF
either, so I'm guessing it's just not in GD at all.

One option might be to convert to JPEG using ImageMagik (aka convert).

At that point, depending on your application, you might as well have
ImageMagik scale it too.

You'll need to use http://php.net/exec and maybe mess around with shell
permissions and paths a bit.

GD is great, but for re-sizing your uploaded images, it might be better to
write a shell script in some kind of cron job to resize/move images using
ImageMagik -- If you have to pop out to a shell (which is what exec does,
essentially) you might as well just start (and stay) in the shell anyway.
YMMV

The last paragraph really only applies if performance is a significant
factor in your upload routine.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm