Re: php ide type scripts

Malcolm,

It's called a learning curve, and is necessary to know the mechanics of the language. If you try to short-circuit it, you'll forever be wondering "How'd that happen?"

Just prepare some simple scripts and try them out, or use something like ColdFusion and be resigned to forever working in CF.

Trust me on this - I tried to short-circuit dBase II by using Fox & Geller's templating engine, except that because it had to be so general to handle every scenario, it wrote v. inefficient code. (It also wrote buggy code, and by the time you worked out their approach to programming you could have written the thing yourself.) And I've used a number of frameworks since; all have their pitfalls, usually because they have to be so general.

So, work with the tutorials on the PHP site and use them as stepping stone to help you through that swamp labelled "Slough of Stuff I Don't Know" to the "Uplands of Competency".

Have fun  - Miles Thompson