Re: Google search indexing

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 02:04, Jason FB wrote:

> Will Google see both pages if I have both linked with <A HREF="">
> tags? Or will it stop at the question mark, only loading the page
> somepage.php and ignore the ?flag=14 and ?flag=15 or whatever? Will
> it index ?flag=14 and ?flag=15 as two separate pages (which is really
> what I want, since they produce different content), or will it treat
> both as the same page?

A quick google would have answered your question! Just have a look at some
typical search results and you'll see that Google will index those dynamic
pages.http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

> Will Google submit the form, perhaps a couple of different ways and
> treat each resulting page differently, or will it just bypass the
> form altogether?

AFAIK search engines don't submit forms. It would be extremely impolite to do
so. Imagine a form for comments and Google "enters" some rubbish and submits
it.

> If the answers to the questions above are Yes and No, then I could
> use a dynamically generated list of links with ?flag= to make Google
> crawl through the part of the MySQL content (as displayed through the
> scripts in HTML) that I want it to, using links and GET variables,
> right?

Yes, that usually works.

> it see that content I want it to see? Does anyone use the error.php
> page to catch for a 404 Not Found error, see if it can match the
> "ghost" name to a record in the DB, and display a page anyway (even
> though technically there is no somepage.php page, the error.php page
> knows to go look in the databsae for "somepage" and displays its
> content)?  I wonder if this would be a good optimization strategy.

Are we still talking about search engines? Strictly speaking no search engine
(crawler to be precise) should ever try to access a non-existent page. If you
have moved pages around and want a search engine to still be able to access
the now non-existent page then you should issue the correct HTTP header code
for "resource moved permanently" (or whatever) and redirect to the new page.