LDAP and referrals

Hello!

Currently I'm playing with LDAP referrals in a PHP application and
I've reached a point, where it's not clear if there's some kind of
misunderstanding on my side, or if there's a problem either in the
PHP functions or the OpenLDAP server here...

The attached mini script tries to access the local LDAP and searches
for objects containing the uid attribute. The LDAP tree contains two
referrals which point to an external server which definitively has additional
objects containing uid attributes. The plan is to get all objects that contain
the uid attribute - from all trees.

I'm trying to make use of the rebind feature. Since there's no propper
documentation on "how to use" this function, I've been trying several
methods till this moment (anonymous bind for testing), the external
servers get connected, but the search query doesn't seem to show
any ambitions to get executed.

Do I need to do everything manualy (get_first_reference, etc.) or am I
just blind? Any hints would be greately appreciated :-)

Component information:
PHP: 4.3.9 (Debian sarge)
OpenLDAP: 2.1.30 (Debian sarge)

I'm not sure if this should go to php-db instead - if so, sorry :-)

Greetings,
Cajus