Re: Re: Close all open tags in HTML text

> From: "Richard Lynch" <ceo@xxxxxxxxx>

> Matt Palermo wrote:
> > but just make sure that ending
> > tags exist, so it doesn't screw up the rest of the page.  Strip tags would
> > just wipe out the HTML rather than allowing it and ending it safely.
>
> Strip tags will allow you to wipe out *DANGEROUS* HTML which will make
> your web server a source of problems not only to you, but to me as well.
>
> Please use strip_tags to allow only the tags you *NEED* the users to be
> able to use.
>
> It will only take you seconds, and it will save you (and us) a lot of
> grief in the long run.

strip_tags() is a rather worthless function, if you ask me. It strips such evil code as <grin> or anything else surrounded by < and >. It's "allowed tags" attribute is misleading, also. You can think you're safe by allowing <b> tags, but I can include onmouseover (or any other) events to trigger javascript and XSS attacks.

You're better to roll your own solution or just run everything through htmlentities()/htmlspecialchars() and show the user exactly what they typed.

I'm on a crusade against the use of strip_tags(), if you haven't figured that out yet. :)

---John Holmes...

UCCASS - PHP Survey System
http://www.bigredspark.com/survey.html