Re: Multiple Inheritance

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:32:30 -0800 (PST), Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I do is not use classes.

I agree.

Some of the worst arguments for OO I've heard recently:

"OO programming lets you organize your code better."
So what you're saying is that you're not capable of organizing similar
functions into files and directories and using include() or require()
as needed?

"OO programming lets lots of developers work on the same code base
easier."
Malarkey[1].  The Linux Kernel crew gets along fine with no OO code.
Hundreds of thousands (millions?) of lines of code with thousands of
developers contributing daily.  A good revision control system is all you
need.

"Using OO programming is more efficient"
Where are your benchmarks?

Then you have scenarios where you have to come behind coders who think
they know OO, but they make poorly designed classes and end up calling
lots of functions statically like Object::foo().. which totally defeats
the purpose of objects along the way.

> At all.

And then you run into real life.  I'm working at a place right now
where they love OO programming.  We use Mojavi, PEAR, and Smarty
everywhere.  I understand OO pretty well I think, and I'm studying
the latest Mojavi framework.  Hopefully I'll be ahead of the curve
on the next project later down the road.  I don't really enjoy OO
programming and I don't think I'd ever code one of my own projects
with it, but I will go grab a PEAR module if it fits my needs. Code
re-use may be the only redeeming quality of OO programming, and
honestly I can re-use your code from a non-OO include file just as
easily.

It just doesn't make sense to instantiate objects for a script whose
total execution lifetime is less than a second or two.  The overhead
just isn't worth it.

http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/oopbad.htm

[1] ma·lar·key also ma·lar·ky   Audio pronunciation of "malarkey" ( P
)  Pronunciation Key  (m-lärk)
n. Slang

    Exaggerated or foolish talk, usually intended to deceive:
"snookered by a lot of malarkey" (New Republic).

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer