Re: Spurious newlines when requesting empty php file

It seems very unlikely to me that PHP is actually sending extra data. If it were a bug, unless it was extremely isolated, quite a lot of people (including me) would definitely have noticed it.

You didn't give any information, so I'm just guessing, here goes.

It could be...

...the unicode bytes, that get placed at the beginning of a file when saved in Unicode format on Windows (maybe other OSes too, not sure).

...something with the way you're viewing the files, which leads you to believe they are empty, but in fact are not.

...something to do with the way you're viewing the data that gets sent, which leads you to believe it has 3 newlines in it, but in fact is has not.

I'd say examine those 3 options above, then , if it's still a problem, post more details here.

Chris

Carl Michael Skog wrote:

Some strange results with spurious newlines inserted in the response when requesting a php file has led me to investigating what happens when a completely empty php-file is requested.

I would have thought that the response from a empty php file would also be empty, but, to my surprise, they consist of 3 newlines !!!

The strange thing is that I observed this behaviour on two completely unrelated servers.

Is this what can be expected or is it a result of misconfiguration ?

Kind regards, Carl Michael Skog