Re: baffled - please explain

Malcolm Mill wrote:
Hi, I just came across a sniplet of code in a book I'm reading and I'm not
sure what point the author is trying to make.

The code is:

function my_function ( )
{
      echo 'My function was called';
}

<?php
function my_function ( )
{ ?>
My function was called
<?php
}
?>

What are those single opening and closing curly braces doing in
separate <?php ?> tag blocks? What's the point?
The author says "Withing a function, curly braces enclose the code
that performs the task you require. Between these braces, you can have
anything that is legal elsewheere in a PHP script" - PHP and MySQL Web
Development, 3rd Edition: Welling & Thomson.

If the point is to illustrate what this quote says, does that mean...

{ ?>
My function was called
<?php
}

...is a syntactically correct code block for my_function?

It is correct but it is not suggested.
The author want to show to you instead of using echo 'My function was called', you can do in that way.

but
 {
 ?>
 My function was called