RE: Magic-quotes

Portability is not an objective here per say.  I'm aware of many of the
security issues surrounding PHP, just trying to understand the specifics
of each one so that I can weigh the plus/minus of it to my needs.

Assuming I have no portability needs and have magic_quotes=on, can you
elaborate on "somewhat?"