Re: Zend Training requirements

--- Rory Browne <rory.browne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was looking at Zend training requirements, on Zends website.
>
> They reportedly require Win2k/XP, and IE>5.5.
>
> Does anyone know what specific part of these training courses
> require Win2k/xp and IE, and whether or not it is possible to
> bypass this using Wine(or if it is due to a wma dep, using
> mozilla/mplayer)?

The software used for the virtual classroom requires Windows, and clicking
a link in IE is required to join the class (it doesn't work if you click
the link in Firefox). It's a proprietary application - not any standard
audio or video like you might be thinking.

I have a separate Windows partition that I use 3 hours each month for this
purpose (soon to be 6 hours a month, since I'm going to add a class in
January). It's definitely something I wish would change, but that's not
really my decision. I hate to think that people are excluded because of
the platform, but I know that happens, especially since a majority of
professional developers seem to use Linux and Mac OS X as much or more
than Windows. Installing Windows to teach a security course seemed rather
odd, believe me. :-)

If you can spare a partition or have a friend with a Windows PC, I really
do think it's a good deal for $99 a class. This virtual training isn't as
good as the real deal (in person), but it's much better than I expected,
and it's so darn cheap.

> I was discussing this with a collegue on the Irish Linux Users
> Group, and neither of us can meet the Windows Requirement, with
> me, running various flavours of (GNU/)Linux only, and he running
> Linux, and MacOSX, only.

I have personally tried Virtual PC on Mac OS X with this software, and it
works fine for listening. I can't use it to teach, because my voice is too
choppy with the emulation, but it should work fine for taking a class.
I've never personally tried wine, but I know someone who has, and it has
the same issues - you just can't talk. There is a way to send an IM to the
intructor during class, and most people use this anyway, so it might not
be an issue.

> It seems strange that training for the use of Free/Open Source
> Software would require win2k/xp.

Yes, I agree. If you can manage to work around this hassle, I think you'll
find the training to be worth it. I hope so. :-)

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security - O'Reilly     HTTP Developer's Handbook - Sams
Coming February 2005        http://httphandbook.org/