RE: getting the phsyical path

Another option would be to open the file with a http protocol reference.
PHP can access files specifying a URL, and if pointing to your current
domain it should work.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php

I.e. $fh = fopen("http://www.mydomain.com/filea.txt","r";);

You should also be able to get the hostname from the $_SERVER array,
depending on your web server

$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] on my linux apache server.

Good luck,

Warren Vail