Re: What else can cause "unexpected T_SL" error other than heredoc?

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:17:01 +0000, D. D. Brierton <darren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We've been getting the following error:
>
> [error] PHP Parse error:  parse error, unexpected T_SL in
> /foo/bar.php on line 136

Can you post some of this code?  Are all your heredoc instances
completely left justified?

> (where foo and bar obviously are stand-ins for real values).
>
> The weird thing is that the file generating the error, bar.php, DOESN'T
> contain any heredoc quotations. bar.php was being called by another file,
> let's call it baz.php with require_once, and baz.php was also calling
> other files using require_once which DID include heredoc quotations, let's
> call them heredoc1.php and heredoc2.php. I was able to determine that the
> problem was indeed caused by bar.php, and not by anything in heredoc1.php
> or heredoc2.php by testing in the following way:
>
> Testing baz.php with the the following commented out:
>
> require_once 'bar.php';
> // require_once 'heredoc1.php';
> // require_once 'heredoc2.php';
>
> Then testing baz.php with the following commented out:
>
> // require_once 'bar.php';
> require_once 'heredoc1.php';
> require_once 'heredoc2.php';
>
> In the first test the "unexpected T_SL" error persisted, whereas in the
> second it went away.
>
> But, bar.php does NOT contain any heredoc quoted strings, nor does it
> contain anywhere the strings "<<" or ">>". So what could be the cause of
> the T_SL error?

I dunno if that's just a typo in your post, but heredoc requires 3 <<<
or >>>, not two as you wrote.

Are you using any sort of PHP cache by chance?

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer