database adapters

Hi,

Just upgraded to PHP5 and MySQL 4.1, so I'm keen to try out the mysqli_* functions, SQLite, etc etc.

What I'm trying to decide here is if I should go with PHP's dbx module, or accept the fact that it's going to be quite rare for me to switch databases once an application is live, and just write a bunch of simple adapters to mysql, mysqli, etc so that I have a choice *at the time I start building*.

There's a few nice reference articles arguing for adapters:
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/002194.html
http://www.allinthehead.com/retro/213/scalability-vs-performance

But no one has really discussed the DBX module, it's performance, etc.

Any wisdom from the group?
Any articles on writing some simple adapters?

TIA
Justin