RE: probably stupid, but...

At 21:32 12-11-2004, Chris W. Parker wrote:
also you need to wrap your array values in { } when an array is
referenced within a string. i.e.

// normal
$value = $_GET['something'];

// with { }
$value = "Here is some data: {$_GET['something']}";

Is that actually in the manual ??? If it is, where ?

I've been learning PHP for a little over 2 years now, and I've kept jumping in and out of strings because I couldn't figure out how to make the darn thing replace array values within it.

The syntax section does not mention this that I've been able to find, nor does the variable section, and if it's in the array section then it's very well buried. I seriously think the basic syntax section needs to cover a bit more ground ... it would also solve our problem with recurring questions about very basic things.

I'm not saying that the manual should be a complete "teach-it-yourself" guide, but basic stuff that you need to use like all the time ought to be in there.

Rene