Re: Unsetting vars when not needed?

I use mysql_free_result when I'm done with the particular query, but I don't really bother unsetting things unless I'm doing something that is using a lot of memory. PHP will clear everything at the end of the run anyway. I guess technically it's garbage collection, but PHP is wiping everything, so it doesn't have the overhead of checking what's been used, still in use or expired. It's just a wipe.
Unsetting is a good coding habit to get into, but I'm not sure of the performance benefits. There are lots of others areas I would focus on first to get better performance, like minimizing the number of connections you need to make to mysql, optimizing your queries, output buffering, etc.