PHP / LDAP with Windows logon

Hello, I have an issue with a PHP interface. We have many engineering users
who will be using a request ticket system developed in PHP here. We don't
know in advance who will be using the system and there may be new people in
all the time. Currently I have to create a login for each person who needs
to use the system, so I have to get a request for a login, create the login,
and fill in their contact information. Since we work with engineers on a
12-15 hour time difference, it might take a whole day or more to get the
login id request filled before they can open a ticket. Plus there's the
whole inconvenience of having to login to another website. The site is
inside our secure intranet, so we don't really need a double layer of
security.

Since we normally logon to a Windows network, what I would like to do is to
detect the user's windows login id when he accesses the PHP page, and
automatically reference his contact information from the windows LDAP
server, so the user can be authenticated by his  current windows login
information, and not have to enter a separate login on the request page. Is
this possible, and what is an easy way to do this?

Thanks!

Chris