Programmatic Browser Rendering Engine?

Please Cc: me, as it's been quite some time since I posted 50 emails per
day to this list... :-^

I'm interested in anybody's experience, good or bad, in what I am naively
coining as a "Programmatic Browser Rendering Engine":

In an ideal world, it would be a PHP function definition not unlike this:

------------------------
bool imagesurfto(resource image, string url, [int width, int height]);

This function surfs to the given URL, as if a browser window the
dimensions (imagesx, imagesy) of image were opened to that URL, and places
in image a representation of what the user would see if they surfed to
that site.

If width and height are provided, the surfing is done as if the browser
window were the provided width and height, and the result is then scaled
to fit into image.

Example:
<?php
$image = imagecreatetruecolor(800, 600);
imagesurfto($image, 'http://php.net');
header("Content-type: image/jpeg");
imagejpeg($image);
?>

This displays what a user would see surfing to the PHP home page, if their
browser window was open to 800x600.

<?php
$image = imagecreatetruecolor(400, 300);
imagesurfto($image, 'http://php.net');
header("Content-type: image/jpeg");
imagejpeg($image);
?>

This displays the same image as the first example, only scaled down to
half-size.
------------------------

In my case, I have a GUI to admin a web-site by adding links, and I want
to give the user some Interface Feedback that the URL they have typed as a
destination for their link looks like what they expect.

If this is all known technology and everybody is already doing it, please
tell me what everybody else has decided is the correct term for this, as
I've got No Clue. :-)

I'm also very very very open to other ideas how to achieve my goal:
The user should see an image of what the link goes to, so they will notice
if it's not the right URL, as they edit/review their link choices.

This could be useful in sites that allow administrators maintain a "Links
Page" semi-automatically.

It could be particularly useful these days now that domain squatters and
speculators are taking over every expired domain and throwing a bunch of
advertisement/pay-per-click links on them.  Just checking that a link is
valid is no longer "Good Enough" to know that you are linking to what you
want to link to.  But that's only one portion of the problem I want to
address, so keeping an eye on domain expiration records would solve this
case, but not the more general issue.

And, of course, if you somehow magically allowed another optional argument
of which browser to use... Wow!  I could visually compare side-by-side the
images of what my layout looks like on all the browsers?  Sign me up!
Okay, so this is probably NOT do-able.  But the rest doesn't seem like it
should be that tricky...

Hmmmmm.  Does a frame allow a "scaling" factor?  Might actually make me
want to use frames [shudder] if they do.

PS  If somebody familiar with, say, Mozilla, were to create a PHP function
such as I described above, you'd have instant fame and glory.  Hint, hint.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm