Re: Re: Variable for search results

Stuart Felenstein wrote:
--- Ben Ramsey <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what the SQL statement you have
above is supposed to do, but you could just do something like this:

$curdate = date('Y-m-d H:i:s');
$sql = "SELECT * FROM records WHERE '$curdate' <=
PostStart;";

I'm having some problems still. I'm trying to work
here with a Dreamweaver extension and the code is not
clear. Are there are good tutorials around , to learn
how to create a database search and results page.
Basically there would be about 6 form elements, some
list boxes, some text fields. The more criteria that
is filled in on the form the more refined the search.
Not sure if this is beyond my skill level or not. Beginner.

While you may be a beginner and this may be beyond your current skill level, I think it's an excellent exercise for you to learn how to work with both PHP and a SQL database. So, turn to both the PHP manual <http://www.php.net/manual> and some manual on SQL syntax (use the manual for the database you're using).

It appears to me that you're relying on Dreamweaver (or the DW extension) to write the code for you, and my advice to you is: don't let Dreamweaver write the code for you; you'll never learn anything that way. Instead, take this as an opportunity to learn how to code in PHP and to learn how to write SQL queries on your own.

First off, I'm not sure what database you're working from, so it would help to know that, but I did a quick Google search on "php search tutorial" and found a good many links to tutorials that might help.

Here's one in particular that may do the job <http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/clay19990421.php3>

Hope that gets you started.

--
Ben Ramsey