Re: Search engine : build a new one or use an alreadry existing one ?

Hello,

On 11/07/2004 09:10 PM, Robert Mena wrote:
> I need to improve my current "search mecanism" but got stuck in a
> dilema : build one or use an existing engine?
>
> My site, that uses php/smarty allows my users to browse products in a
> category listing or search.  Currently my search only performs a
> 'select xxx from where field like ' and show the results.
>
> Even tough it works I'd like to improve it, showing the results by
> relevance, proper hadling mispelled words, performing the serach not
> only in the product's name etc.
>
> I've tried mnogosearch but I am not sure that I'll be able to
> manipulate the query results in order to show only results in the
> product section (not the entire site).

If all indexed data appears in Web site pages and you plan to grow, forget SQL based search engines. This kind of solution that does not scale well, imposing very high CPU and disk space requirements. Large scale search engine sites do not use SQL based databases.

You may want to try HtDig. This is a solution based on binary flat files. Several popular PHP sites used it like php.net and phpclasses.org.

If you want to try interfacing to it from PHP, you may want to try this class that simplifies the task of configuring, indexing and searching your site with HtDig from PHP:

http://www.phpclasses.org/htdiginterface

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos