Re: Object oriented??

From a theoretical stand point, for a language to be OO, it should support encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

On Nov 7, 2004, at 2:26 AM, Robert Cummings wrote:

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 01:37, Larry E.Ullman wrote:
Yes of course...but was confused since some says it is so and some
says it
is not...So thought of asking the pros..

It is. PHP4 had limited support for OOP, though it was quite usable. PHP5 goes further and provides pretty much everything else. See the documentation on php.net for the complete language reference.

I guess this is where the OP's confusion stemmed from (Robert said Yes,
I said No)! A liberal definition of OO is "An adjective applied to any
system or language that supports the use of objects", under which PHP
would qualify. But, in strict OO languages, everything must be done
using objects. You can't even do a simple "Hello, World" without them
(I could be wrong on this, of course). With that understanding PHP
would not be OO.

So, in short, PHP __supports__ objects but does not __require__ them.

For a language to be object oriented it does not need to be purist like
java. But then in counter to your argument, java primitive datatypes
such as int or bool are not themselves objects, which is in contrast to
the design of Smalltalk. At any rate, few would argue that C++ is not OO
and yet you can write a C++ program without using any objects. I think
it is sufficient to say that a language is OO if it supports the OO
paradigm, not if it enforces it.

Cheers,
Rob.