Re: image uploads - part 2

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 03:58 -0800, Jaskirat Singh wrote:
> 4) database + dedicated =  err.. stupid? ;)

I should have clarified this more as to why I prefer the DB storage
method. I don't expect that my web application will be the only
interface to the data that I am storing the database. For some clients,
we build pyton interfaces that clients run on their desktop. We also
replicate our databases across a few servers and it's much easier to
keep track of the database than it is to make sure a bunch of
filesystem-stored files are too. Some of our client database machines
don't have a webservers so we don't program with just the web in mind.

With storing in the database, we get transaction support and we know
that an image will not be deleted if it is being referenced by another
piece of data. Speed versus data integrity is something we have to
juggle per client as to what is more important. If you know how to
optimize your database (a stock pgsql db can be rather slow..) then the
speed differences are not enough of a factor for us to know that our
data just a bit more safer.

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com