RE: How to display a 'please wait' message whilst processing?

[snip]
> On a number of sites a message and/or graphic is displayed asking you to
> wait or be patient whilst some processing is being performed to
> compose the
>
> How are these done within PHP scripts?
> Could output buffering be used for this purpose?
> For example is it possible to do something like:

[snip]

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I do not really want to use META refresh as my understanding is that this
either reloads the same page (loop?) or a new page, which I don't see
working as I want the "Please wait.." to remain until the processing has
finished, not for a fixed period of time as the report may take 10 seconds
or one minute to complete running.

I want to avoid Javascript if at all possible, as I cannot guarantee it
being available on the client.

I have managed to use flush() to display some text, but after processing (or
sleep) I cannot 'overwrite' this only add to it.

Any help much appreciated...

Graham