Reservation technique

I would like to do some sort of facilities reservation system. Suppose this is for booking , say, a meeting room.

Booking detail to be stored in db:
- name or id of person
- meeting room number
- date and time (when room will be used)
- number of hours to be allocated

Now say Peter booked room R1 for 20th Nov starting from 9am to 12pm.
Then Mary try to book the same room on the same date beginning 10am for 4 hours.

How will a PHP script perform such checking to prevent that sort of overlapping in reservation ? Or could it be that my database design is bad that's blocking ideas into my head ?

I need help.

--
roger