Very wierd issue with pdf's and rotating images

I have tried this with pretty much every pdf library available to use with PHP and all have the same results.

1. I create a new pdf.
2. I rotate a jpeg using gd's imagerotate
3. I output the jpeg to a new pdf page
4. I then output the pdf to the browser and/or to a file.

When I view the pdf, the image that was embedded in the pdf page has a large black rectangular area taking up the first 1/4 of the image.

If I do not rotate the image, there is no large black rectangular area.

Anybody has an idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Brent