Re: PEAR Calendar

Greg Donald wrote:
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:28:13 -0500, Greg Beaver <cellog@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Install it manually.

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.manually.php

This is terrible advice.

$ pear install --force Calendar.

And you think --force is better?  Pffft.

When the PEAR developers make an entire webpage with specific
instructions for installing a PEAR module manually, I gotta think it
isn't 'terrible advice' to post the URL to it.

In this particular case, he already has a fully working PEAR install. The solution you gave was to the wrong problem. manual install is only for those who can't use the command-line or web installer.

However, the error message given by the pear installer is incredibly unhelpful as it doesn't say that there is a non-stable version available, and doesn't tell you how to install it. This has been fixed in the latest PEAR in CVS along with lots of other goodies.

His problem is that Calendar does not have a stable release, and there was no obvious way to install it. Doing a manual installation is risky for several reasons

1) any replacements in the package will not be executed (advanced packages)
2) dependencies are not checked before installation, leading to all kinds of potential problems.

Incidentally, I just committed code on Sunday that will make the manual installation instructions obsolete. Now, you'll be able to automatically use the PEAR installer to synchronize a remote installation with a local one through ftp, eliminating both of the problems listed above. This will be in PEAR 1.4.0+

I am sorry I jumped on you Greg, you have given great advice very often on this list. My country is going to Hell, and I took a bit of frustration out on you :)

Greg

P.S. my Dad's name is Donald :)