Re: Scaling select lists

At 16:18 02-11-2004, Chris Gregors wrote:
When working with select lists that grow over time, what are some solutions
people have applied to the problem of massive select lists?

This is pretty cumbersome for the users to navigate. They end up scrolling
up and down and getting annoyed.

Example:

<select name=Contacts[] multiple size=10>
        <option name="Contacts[]" value="474" selected>fred
        <option name="Contacts[]" value="475" selected>bob
        ... 800 more <option lines>
</select>

I've considered going to dual select boxes like the one @
http://www.philwebb.com/code/list_box.asp

Has anyone applied a solution that users appreciated to overcome massive
select lists ?

Yeah, don't use them. I use a search feature that allows users to select which fields, from 1 specific to all, and anything in between, to search in, and whether to use exact or partial (free text) search. Thus only the entries they actually want displayed come up, and they can then filter onward from that. I don't like using list/select boxes without first having the user pick what part of the information available they actually want. Firstly it's an unnessecary drain on the DB to pull data that is never used, secondly it's an annoyance to users to be forced to wade through endless amounts of options. My users prefer being able to narrow down what they want before being presented with it. It makes the system more flexible and more enjoyable to use. The more work there is in using it, the less it'll be used. And then its purpose is defeated.

Rene

--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

If your life was a dream, would you wake up from a nightmare, dripping of sweat, hoping it was over? Or would you wake up happy and pleased, ready to take on the day with a smile?

http://metalbunny.net/
References, tools, and other useful stuff...
Check out the new Metalbunny forums at http://forums.metalbunny.net/