authentication question

I need to require username/password access  in two distinct ways.

At one level, I need to protect all files except .php files within a
directory structure.  I can do this with htaccess using the <FilesMatch>
directive.

I also need to serve up database driven content via username/password at
another.  I'm doing this via sessions and php.  I want the same username and
password to work for both.

I don't know how to restrict access to the non-php files with php.  Is there
a way?

If not, is there a way that the username/password info stored in the session
var can be used in conjunction with the htaccess file so if the user has
already logged in via the session system, they don't have to then enter the
same data again via http authentication?
Kelly Meeks
Right Angle, Inc.
PO Box 356
Northampton, MA 01060