Re: SNMP causing Apache to leave ports open?

Greetings all,

   I ran into an interesting issue with PHP recently. I recompiled it to
support SNMP. Once I did this, I ran into an issue where now every time an
SNMP related command is used in a PHP script, Apache is leaving a UDP port
open. Eventually this causes the system to run out of handles...  Restarting
the Apache daemon cures the problem and clears all the open UDP ports.

   Some version info:

	Apache:	1.3.27
	PHP:		4.3.3
	SNMP:	UCD-SNMP 4.2.5

   Here is an example of a netstat showing the ports:

udp 0 0 *:51696 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51697 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51698 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51699 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51700 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51701 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51702 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51703 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51704 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51705 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51706 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51707 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51708 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51709 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51710 *:* 31224/httpd
udp 0 0 *:51711 *:* 31224/httpd

   These ports were not in existence prior to calling a script that uses SNMP.

   In the documentation, I see no evidence of any way to close the SNMP
connection, which totally makes sense since SNMP is utilizing UDP and is
stateless by nature anyway based on the fact that it does use UDP.

   Has anyone seen this behavior before? Better yet, does anyone know how to
fix this issue?

   Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad