Re: Gawd I hate those useless error messages...

-{ Rene Brehmer }- wrote:
Hi gang

I do realise that this error means I've forgotten a curly brace or semi-colon somewhere, but seriously ...

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $end in E:\web\Metalbunny\addguest.php on line 274

where line 274 would be the last line, obviously (since it's always the last line when it does this)...

now I'm lucky that this script in question has alot of HTML in it, so there's only about 180 lines of actual code, but is there really not something that can be done to PHP to make errors like these just a LITTLE easier to debug ???

It's not that bad in this particular case ... but when we have scripts of 500-800 lines code, or even more, it tends to be a rather not very helpful message... and it gets worse when you jump in and out of PHP ...

the '$end' and the '$' error are by far the most annoying errors, so hard to debug ... atleast with 'unexpected {' you have a slight chance as it limits the part you have to search through ...

since this is the test-server, I run with all errors, alerts, and messages on, but isn't there someway to make PHP just a little more helpful when this happens ???

Indent properly, use an editor that can find matching braces. PHP really can't give more meaningfull message, as it does not understand your code logic.