RE: Review: Function that measures the width of a text stri ng in pixels.

There is a function in the GD library that measures text size;

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagettfbbox.php

But it has an advantage you don't have, once it has places exactly the font
it wants, the size it wants, directly into an image, it knows that the
browser won't change the image.  With the font inside an image, the browser
won't substitute another font, or use a different size because the one you
have specified in your font statement is not available on the users machine.
Perhaps there is a way for JavaScript to send you a list of available fonts
on the end users machine?  Course the end user could have fonts you never
heard of.  I think this is one of those things (like hand grenades and horse
shoes) where being close counts. ;-)

Warren Vail