RE: MySQL Scalability, part 2

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Grigorenko [mailto:kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 8:13 AM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  MySQL Scalability, part 2

"Zareef Ahmed" <za@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:001d01c4ba3b$a9e91c80$0100a8c0@xxxxxxxxxxx
> [...]

am just skeptical (if you have any websites or >>>performance
benchmarks, please provide).  It's hard for me to imagine that a file
system access (let alone appending one >line to the end of a file) is
slower than a MySQL execution. Even if we assume that MySQL does
everything in memory, here >are just some of the things that have to
happen:

>1. A MySQL connection may be opened.  Perhaps there is connection
pooling, and this isn't too bad, just finds a reference >to an already
open MySQL connection.  Performance hit ~ 0 2. mysql_query is executed,
which first must go through the PHP >library, then connect to a socket
(perhaps on another server, but we'll assume on the same server for
now).  Performance >hit ~ negligible if the mysql daemon is on the same
server 3. The mysql daemon then has to process this request along with
>whatever load is already on the daemon, then needs to get locks on the
table to insert into it. Performance hit ~ could be >a lot, I doubt
MySQL is faster at locking than flock() 4. MySQL has to probably do a
lot of in memory operations and then >send the result back over the
socket.

>But if you have some webpages that prove otherwise, i will be VERY GLAD
to see them, because mysql sure makes everything >much easier.  I just
can't see it yet based on such a simple statement as above.

Mysql just set a world record
http://mysql.bigbiz.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2004_27.ht
ml

Yes your concern are right there may be some other or lenghty task in
processing data via mysql than simply append a line to file. But above
all it is  over all usablity and performance which matter.
But your idea about a benchmark is intresting .....whenever I will find
one I will inform you for sure ;)

But I think it will be for academic use only.

Zareef Ahmed

> Visit http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Too_many_connections.html
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin