relative paths with "require"

Hello, I'm experiencing a problem with PHP4.  On the server where our code
used to reside, the relative path used in an include started from the
directory in which the file containing the require statement resided.  On
our new server, the relative paths seem to start from where the first php
script in the chain of "require"'s resides.

An example would be three files in two directories as follows:

/test/index.php
/test/a/a.php
/test/b/b.php

index.php:
        require("a/a.php");

a.php:
        require("../b/b.php");

On our old server, this would be fine, as the path searched in a.php would
start in /test/a.  On the new server, if you start processing index.php,
you will get a file not found error in a.php since it's starting from the
path "/test".

I've tried every config option I can think of and am nearly ready to try to
hack in a workaround.  Does anyone know how this could be configured?

Thanks,

--
~Joey Morwick