Re: File Copy

Aidal,
since you are using the server to copy the file, and the copy succeeds, the server obviously has at least read access to the source.
You just can't get the permissions right. Check out: <http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.umask.php>. If you have access to your server or another *nix machine also check out "man umask". If you set your umask before the copy, your file should be copied with the right permissions. If you set the umask after the copy, you should be able to chmod. Be careful how you set the umask, it's not as straight forward as is seems.

Hope this helps. . . Dusty
Aidal wrote:

Hi NG.

I'm experiencing some problems when trying to copy a file from one location
to another on the web server.

example:

dir1/subdir1/some_image_name.jpg  -->  dir2/subdir2/some_new_image_name.jpg

When I do this the file permissions changes and I'm no longer the owner of
the file. I tried to use chmod('the_new_file', 0777); but it doesn't work,
because chmod() wont let me change the permissions since I'm not the owner
of this new file.

The server runs on some kind of UNIX based system...

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

/Aidal