Re: Apache segmentation faults

* Thus wrote Bostjan Skufca @ domenca.com:
> Hello,
>
> every now and then I notice in apache logs there were few segmentation faults
> (on a daily basis) and all I am stuck with is PID of that process (which is
> of course dead by then) and nothing about what it was doing. Is there any way
> to figure out what request that apache process was serving when SIGSEGV
> occured? Is there any reading about this?
>
> I believe the request is not logged at all because (I think) every child
> writes to log files himself and not through parent. (+ log files usually
> provide outgoing bytes value, which is not available in such a situation - if
> it was logging through parent)
>
> Again, does anybody know how could I trace out what is causing this?

There should be a core file of the dump (httpd.core) generated from
the seg fault.  If apache is installed in /usr/local/apache, you
should find one at:
  /usr/local/apache/httpd.core

You can use gdb to obtain a backtrace to find out exactly where
apache died by issuing something like:

 gdb /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd /usr/local/apache/httpd.core

Then type 'bt'

Curt
--
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."