question about mkdir() and ownership permissions

PHP General List,

I am trying to use mkdir() on a shared unix server to create a directory within my home space. I have to have the ability for my user on this server to upload to this folder, however I think that mkdir() creates the directory and makes it owned by the process running Apache -- nobody, httpd, or apache depending on the system (which is someone else's so I don't know)

I get permission denied when I try to upload to these folders.

I suppose I could use mkdir and specify the mode as 0777 to give broad write access to these folders, but I always thought this was a security risk.

Does anyone know how I can create a directory which is owned by my user account on this server-- or have any other creative suggetions?

Thanks.

Jason FB