Quick imageSize question

Hi,
I am just experimenting with images and uploading,
I have written a script that successfully uploads imgs
and I am using this to get the file dimensions:

$a = getimagesize("a.jpg");
echo $a[0] . " " .$a[1] . " " . $a[3];

The problem with the above is I can only get the
dimensions AFTER the file has been uploaded and is on
disk,which is quite a pain in the ... coz I want to
accept only images that are smaller than x pixels
width and then i have to tell the client that their
upload failed coz their image is too big...is there
any way to get the dimensions before the upload is
done?

I have GD 2+ if that helps.

Thanks,
Mag

=====
------
- The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
- Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!
- Smile, everyone loves a moron. :-)