Re: general organization question

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 16:19, lists wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I"m wondering what factors are at play in deciding to use "require",
> "include", "file_get_contents" and such when laying out a site.  Like

require() generates a fatal error if the target file doesn't exist. This
means your script will not attempt to continue. On the other hand,
include() only generates a warning and, if you know what you're doing,
might be convenient to choke using the @ prefix. file_get_contents()
ensures that the content is not parsed as PHP which is good for content
that might have PHP code in it that you DON'T want evaluated.

> why use one template, or many

Many templates allows you to build a site as though you were building a
car. You can have multiple engines, multiple bodies, multiple hub caps,
etc etc. Then using multiple templates allows you to combine them as you
wish with minimal effort.

> why use different pages rather than relying on variables.

Different pages are generally better than a single page which does
internal content switching based on a variable since search engine
crawlers can index them better... unless you're using some fancy URL
rewriting, but then you're just pretending to have separate pages :)

> I'm also wondering about how I see "{content}"
> type stuff in phpBB and Coppermine Photo Gallery.  Does it have to deal
> with customization?

That is probably a template tag of some sort. Depending on what
templating system you are using there are many different, many archaic,
ways of telling the template engine what you want and where.

> Anyone have any recommendations where I can learn more about this, I
> guess structural, stuff?

Try google. If that doesn't work, ask google politely how to use google.

Cheers,
Rob.